Skip to main content

We've gone 24/7 live!!!!

On March 19, 2014 HaulingGear enabled 24/7 live comfish newsfeeds on our front page at ! Enjoy! Click image to view : Deck Watch recognizes 1950 rescue


KODIAK, Alaska – Tessa Boskofsky accepts a posthumous Coast Guard Meritorious Public Service Award on behalf of her grandfather, Thomas Allain, from Capt. Jesse Moore, Base Support Unit Kodiak commanding officer, and Lt. Matthew Zinn, Marine Safety Detachment Kodiak supervisor at Coast Guard Base Kodiak Feb. 15, 2012. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Charly Hengen.
KODIAK, Alaska – Deck Watch is a five to seven minute radio show featuring Coast Guard news across Alaska.  In this week’s feature Deck Watch learns about the 1950 rescue of Helvig Christensen from the fishing vessel Dixie north of Pelican and talks with the granddaughter of one of the rescuers.
U.S. Coast Guard audio by D17 External Affairs.
Here’s what else went on in Coast Guard news across Alaska:
Feb. 13 – District 17 watchstanders received a call requesting a medevac of a 28-year-old man who injured his hand in a fish grinder while aboard the fishing vessel Alliance about 80 miles northeast of Dutch Harbor. An Air Station Kodiak MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew wasn’t able to launch from Dutch Harbor due to inclement weather.  The fishing vessel Alliance moored in Dutch Harbor before the weather conditions improved and the man was transferred to the Dutch Harbor clinic for further medical care. 
Feb. 15 – An Air Station Kodiak MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew forward deployed on the Alex Haley medevaced a 59-year-old man from the Dutch Harbor clinic to Cold Bay for abdominal pains.  A commercial medevac service was able to transport the man from Cold Bay to Anchorage for further medical care. 
Feb. 16 – Sector Juneau received a report from the crew of the fishing vessel Valle Lee stating that their vessel was hard aground about 17 miles northwest of Sitka.  The three crewmembers evacuated into a skiff with no reported injuries.  No pollution was observed and the crewmembers were able to close all vents before evacuating.  The Coast Guard will monitor and investigate the cause of the grounding.